Saturday, September 8, 2007

Welcome to Antarctica!




Hi kids! Thanks for stopping by! My name is Keri. Some of you are my cousins, some of you are in Mrs. Nelson's class, and some of you I might not know at all! But I hope I can tell you a little bit about me and what it's like to live in Antarctica!


Do you know where Antarctica is? Mrs. Nelson can show it to you on the globe, or maybe your parents can find it on a map. Antarctica is a continent, just like North America, only Antarctica is south of you. It's very cold here! There is lots of ice and snow. I have to wear a very heavy winter jacket every day!


I live at a science base called McMurdo Station. Here are some pictures:








Please take time to notice the beautiful mountains in the distance! I get to see those mountains every day!


McMurdo Station is like a little town that has been built to support scientific studies about the earth. There are a lot of questions we have about global warming and the earth's atmosphere that can be answered here, along with lots of other questions. Right now, 300 people live here but in about a month, there will be 1000 people here, so it will be a just about the same size as Elbow Lake!


I'm working as a janitor here this year. I would love to hear your questions about Antarctica, so ask Mrs. Nelson to post some questions, or ask your mom and dad if they can help you post a question to me, and I will answer them!

No comments: